Road Safety Week is a UK-wide community-involvement event organised annually by Brake, the road safety charity. Each year focusses on a different theme.
Brake also launches the Week with national and regional media stories to help raise awareness.
Road Safety Week 2018 - Bike Smart
This year our Bike Smart campaign is raising awareness about the importance of keeping those on two wheels safe.
New figures show those on two wheels are 63 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured than car drivers
- New analysis shows that those on two wheels face 63 times higher risk of being killed or seriously injured, per mile travelled, than car drivers.
- On average, a cyclist or motorcyclist is killed or seriously injured every hour, on British roads.
- Two thirds of bike deaths occur on our rural roads, with the fatal crash risk facing bikes on rural roads at its highest since 2010.
- Most drivers (52%) believe that bike riders are most vulnerable on urban roads, but rural roads pose three times the risk of a fatal crash to bike riders.
- The analysis marks the start of Road Safety Week (19–25 November), sponsored by Devitt Insurance Services and Ford, which this year urges people, particularly drivers, to be ‘Bike Smart’ to raise awareness about the safety of those on two wheels.
- Communities and organisations across the UK take part in Brake’s Road Safety Week – case studies and photo and filming opportunities are available.
For the full story, read here.
Bike riders are 63 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured than car drivers November 2018
Devitt Insurance Services and Ford announced as headline sponsors September 2018
Date and theme announced: Bike Smart May 2018
Read press releases from previous years in our news archive.
Learn more about events people ran in previous years on our 'You did it!' page.